When Europeans first arrived, the island of Haiti was mostly populated by migrant Arawak Indians from the South American Amazon (the basin of the Venezuelan Orinocco/Rio Negro) who had moved up around the end of the first millennium.

In Puerto Rico, Haiti and eastern Cuba, this stable agricultural civilisation was reasonably advanced, with well defined religious, artistic, economic and linguistic elements that categorised them as "classic" Taino (Chican-Ostinoide). In Haiti, the civilisation was most developed in the well populated south western province of Xaragua.

Pre-Columbian Haiti

Having previously sustained inhabitation since the fourth century BC (successively lithic, archaic, ostinoid and meillacoid) Española's Taïno population of practically a million people was decimated in fifteen years.

Following its "discovery" at the end of the 15th century, the eastern part of the island of Hayti was progressively occupied by the Spaniards, while the French, whose presence was officially acknowledged with the Treaty of Ryswick in 1697, settled to the west. The treaty was revised in 1777 by the treaty of Araniuez, which defines the first border to divide the island in two parts: Spanish (Hispañola) and French (Saint-Domingue).

With the treaty of Basle in July 1795, Spain conceded the eastern part of the island to France. In January 1801, Toussaint Louverture occupied the east in the name of France in accordance with this treaty.  It remained under his authority until the arrival of the Leclerc expedition.

In 1814, the treaty of Paris returned the former Spanish territory to Spain, less the land occupied in 1809 by Henri Christophe.

From 1822 to 1844, Haiti no longer had any borders and the two countries merged as one, but in 1844 the previous 1822 border was again established with the creation of the Dominican Republic.

Attempts to re-occupy the east by Riviere Hérard, Pierrot and Soulouque failed, and the line of the border remained imprecise, encouraging Haitian incursions into Dominican territory. Only in 1929, with the treaty between the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic, rectified by the 1935 treaty, did the Dominican border become definite.

1492 (6 December) Christopher Columbus discovers the island of "Hayti" and spends the night in the bay that he names "St Nicolas."
1764 Settlement at Mole Saint Nicolas of its first European inhabitants, the Acadians, who fled English persecution. Strategic fortifications were established successively by the French and English at the end of the 18th century, Mole being the scene of a constant struggle between the two for control of Saint-Dominge.
1791 In a raid on Mole, 300 slaves - known as the "Swiss", who had taken up arms with the western freemen - were thrown into the sea after having their throats cut.
1799 Toussaint Louverture comes to subdue the city won to the cause of Rigaud.
1810 (10 July) Death of general Lamarre, hero of the war of Independence, during the course of a struggle against the southern Republic by the Kingdom of North.
1887 President Salomon's government signs a contract with the count of Ockza agreeing to the laying of a submarine cable enabling communications with Europe and America.  
1492 (7 December) Christopher Columbus drops anchor in the bay, calling it "Harbour of the Conception".
1492 (9 December) The region reminds the Admiral of the plains of Castille - he calls the island "Hispañola".
1492 (12 December) Columbus consecrates the island to God and his Saints. He plants the "Cross of the Savior" on a prominentry to the western entrance of the bay.
1492 (6 December) Christopher Columbus sails the length of an island to the north of the landmass that he calls "Ile de la Tortue", or "Turtle Island", because of its profile.
1630 Arrival of the first pirates.
1641 François Levasseur becomes governor of Turtle Island by right of conquest.
Arrival of some of the first "tied laborours", the so called European who were committed to working their passage for a period of thirty six months.
1651 Louis XIV signs the concession for several islands, of which Turtle Island is given the order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem or the Order of Malts. Louis d' Ache, Knight of Fontenay, is appointed governor.
1656 Du Rausset is nominated governor of Turtle Island - the first by royal commission.
1664 Louis XIV names Bertrand of Ogeron governor of Turtle Island. The seat of government will remain on the island until his death in 1676.
1697 The Treaty of Ryswick established the supreme sovereignty of France over the western part of the island of Hispañola.
1802 The island provides a sanctuary where the French take refuge to escape yellow fever. The remains of Leclerc are taken there in order to be repatriated to France.
1492 (16 December) Christopher Columbus explores the area, calling it "Paradise Valley" (Val Paraíso). He calls the town site "Puerto Paix".
1676 The seat of government is transferred from Ile de la Tortue to Port de Paix, which becomes the first French capital on the mainland. The first slave rebellion is lead by Padre Jean.
1766 General Cappoix, hero of the war of Independence, is born at Habitation Delaunay, not far from Port de Paix.
1794 Toussaint signs a treaty with Governor Laveaux. Abandoning Spain, he sides with the French Republic, taking his 5000 troops with him.
1802 (17 October) Cappoix massacres the Europeans at Port de Paix so brutally that he earns the nickname "Cappoix la Mort" ("Killer Cappoix").
During Christophe's reign, Port de Paix was a rebel city, opposing its monarch under the command of Rebecca, an officer degraded by king Christophe - who beheads him in 1807 so putting an end to the town's insurgence.
1492 (21 December) Saint Thomas's day. Christopher Columbus enters a magnificent bay which he calls "Port Saint Thomas".
1492 (22 December) First meeting between Columbus and Guacanagaric, the Chief of Marien.
The bay was called Port Camp-Louise by the French until 1740, since when it has been known as the Baie de l'Acul.
1492 (24 December) Christopher Columbus crosses Cap Haitien bay to disembark on the sands of Marien, the caciquat of Chief Guacanagaric.
Cap Haitien will later be built on a site then called Guarico by the Spaniards.
1670 French pirates from Ile de la Tortue under the leadership of Betrand d'Ogeron establish themselves on the Cap headland.
1711 Foundation of the town of Cap Français by royal decree. It was to become the most prosperous of the colony.
1743 Birth of Toussaint Louverture at Habitation Breda, not far from Cap Français.
1758 Birth of Dessalines on the Habitation Cormier, near Cap.
1758 (20 January) Makandal is burned alive at Cap.
1774 Cap Français parish church is established.
1791 (25 February) Vincent Ogé and Jean Baptist Chavannes, leaders of the emancipation movement, are beaten to death together with their associates in Cap Français town square.
1791 (22 August) Major slave rebellion erupts in the Cap region.
1793 (29 August) Proclamation of freedom of the northern slaves by Sonthonax.
1802 (January) Leclerc's French warships arrive in the bay. The city is burned by Henri Christophe, commander of Cap.
1802 (7 June) Toussaint Louverture is put aboard The Hero and deported to Fort de Joux in the Jura, where he dies.
1802 (2 November) General Leclerc succumbs to yellow fever. He is buried at the Pantheon in Paris.
1803 (18 November) French troops are subjected to a bitter defeat at the battle of Vertières, putting an end to the French colony of Saint Domingue.
1804 Proclamation of Independence at Gonaïves. Cap Français becomes Cap Haitien.
1804 (8 October) Coronation of Dessalines, first Emperor of Haiti.
1811 (2 June) King Christophe is crowned "Henry 1st" in Cap Haitien parish church. Cap Haitien became Cap Henry, the name it retained until his death.
1820 Boyer re-establishes the name "Cap Haitien".
1840 Birth of the poet Oswald Durand, one of the greatest poets of 19th century Haitian literature.
1842 An earthquake destroyed most of the city. Two thirds of its inhabitants perish under the debris.
1843 Cap Haitien is decreed capital of Haiti by president Pierrot. It remains so briefly.
1867 Popular uprising led by General Sylvain Salnave against the Geffrard government which lasted nearly seven months. Salnave's tomb remained in the Place d'Armes in Cap, opposite the statue of Jean Jacques Desslines, until the American occupation in 1915.
1891 (20 July) Philomé Obin, the best known painter of the "Northern School" was born, lived and died at Cap Haitien.
1893 First journey of poet and Cuban politician José Marti to Haiti.
The city of Cap is illuminated for the first time with kerosene lamps. A lighthouse and a hydraulic network are established.
1895 Foundation of the free school of Rights at Cap by writer Tertulien Guilbaud.
1896 Official completion of the Hyppolite bridge and the opening of the first covered market.
1898 Foundation of the Sainte-Marie school by Edmond Etienne, which later became the College of Our Lady.
1899 Work starts on the construction of an important railway network to link the city of Cap with a number of other strategic northern locations.
1492 (25 December) The Santa Maria runs aground in the bay of Cap Haitien. Fort Navidad, the first European structure in the new world, is built with the remains of the flag ship, close to the place now known as Bord de Mer Limonade.
1493 (4 January) Columbus sets sail for Europe.
1503 Rodrigo of Mexia, one of the lieutenants of the Spanish governor Nicolas Ovando, founds the city of Puerto Réal.
1578 The city is burned and abandoned, to be rediscovered in 1975 by William Hodges.
1787 Moreau de Saint-Méry, historian and French geographer, explores the remains known as "Columbus's Castle". He believes he has discovered the remnants of fort Navidad. He had actually found some of the ruins of Puerto Réal. The site was successively occupied by the Indians, the Spaniards and the French.
1707 (26 July) The first church of Limonade is concecrated to Saint Anne.
1806 (19 October) Cappoix la Mort perishes in an ambush at the entrance to Limonade.
1820 (15 August) During the ceremony of the Assumption at Limonade church, King Christophe collapses with apoplexy.
Famous residents of the city include: Chabanon du Maugris of the French Academy, general Prévost, Lieutenant General, Secretary of State, and Minister of Foreign Affairs to King Christophe, the Count of Limonade.
1578 Foundation of the Spanish city of Bayaha following the abandonment of Puerto Réal.
1725 Foundation of the French city which retains the Spanish name of Bayaha.
1731 The city changes its name to Fort Dauphin.
1792 Under the French Republic, the city is called Fort Liberté.
1803 (28 November) Proclamation of Independence. The text, signed by Dessalines, Christophe and Clerveaux, is published on January 4th, 1804, in the Philadelphia Gazette.
1811 (26 March) During a reception at Fort Liberté, Christophe is named King Henry the 1st. The town is named "Fort Royal", and remains so for the duration of his reign.
Around the bay one can still see the remains of an elaborate colonial defensive system: Fort Labouque, Batterie de l'Anse, Fort Saint Charles, Fort Saint Frédérique and Fort Dauphin (also called Fort Saint Joseph or Fort Liberté) - and Ile Bayau, the pirates' island of choice.
From 1870 to the American occupation in 1915, the area was under the influence of the Cacos.
The Indiands called this river the Guatapana.
1728 Spanish colonialists massacred 30 French pirates as they headed for the forntier, laden with loot. River Guatapana has been known as Massacre River ever since.
1806 Henry Christophe chose this village, about 25 Km from Cap Henry (formerly Cap Français, latterly Cap Haitien) for his administrative base. He built the Palace of Sans Souci and its surrounding buildings and, close to Milot, atop the range of hills known as the Bonnet-à-l'Evêque (Bishop's Hat), he built the Citadel and the fortification of Ramiers, which are now enclosed within the boundaries of the National Historic Park. The king killed himself in his palace on October 8th 1820. Since 1982, the collection of monuments and the Park have been classified by UNESCO as a World Heritage site.
1842 A violent earthquake seriously damaged Sans Souci palace and the Citadel.
Near Dondon is a pre-Columbian sanctuary known as the Voûte-à-Minguet. The chiefs and their subjects would meet there every year to pay hommage to their gods.
1776 (28 October) Birth of general Gabart, friend and companion of Dessalines and hero of the battle of Butte Charrier (Vertières).
1803 The Abbot of Haye, friend and confessor of Jean-Francois and Biassou, vicar of Dondon, is drowned in the raid on Cap by order of Rochambeau.
1804 Death of Clerveaux, signature of the Act of Independence.
Dondon is the birthplace of Vincent Ogé.
1790 (20 November) Vincent Ogé and his 23 companions are captured.
1844 Hinche again becomes part of the Republic of Haiti with the founding of the Dominican Republic.
1886 Birth of Charlemagne Péralte, hero of the resistance against the American occupation.
Area of high resistance against the American occupation from 1915 to 1919.
1715 Foundation of the city, consecrated with the inauguration of a chapel dedicated to Saint Peter.
Around the fertile region of Limbé are a number of important colonial habitations, including the Habitation Dufresne, where Makandal, the celebrated rebel slave, was arrested.
1824 President Boyer establishes a colony of black American farmers.
Lamartine evokes Limbé in his poem to Toussaint Louverture "Oh hills of Limbé".
1902 During the civil war, Limbé was a bastion of Firminism.
1802 Plaisance was the scene of various insurrections led by Sylla, the rebel slave.
1802 (7 August) An historic meeting between Dessalines and Pétion during the course of which a pact seals a sacred union between the new freemen and the blacks. This pact eventually results in the independence of Haiti.
1776 Foundation of the city which takes the name of a celebrated governor of Saint-Domingue, Count Ennery.
1802 (February) Isaac and Placide, the two sons of Toussaint Louverture, arrive with the Leclerc expedition. They are reunited with their father at Ennery with a letter from Napoleon which negotiates his surrender.
The city takes its name from the Indian name Gonaubo, by which part of the region of Maguana was called.
1802 (February) The battle of Couleuvre Ravine, near Gonaives, marked the first confrontation between the army of Toussaint Louverture and the troups of Rochambeau.
1804 (1st January)  The Independence of Haiti is proclamed by Dessalines at the Place d'Armes, Gonaive.
1902 (6 September) The Firminist admiral Hammerton Killick, not wanting to surrender his vessel "Crête-à-Pierrot" to the german gunship "Panther", blew it up and sank with it in the raid on Gonaive.
1904 (1st January) Grand celebration by Nord Alexis of the first centenary of national independence.
Gonaïves is the native city of J. B. Damier, minister of Public Instruction under Geffrard.
Not much remains from the time when the town, which was to become the first capital of Haiti, was created by Dessalines. It was defended by five forts built by Dessalines on top of the surrounding hills: Forts Doco, Culbuté, La Source, Innocent and Fin du Monde. Remains of residences belonging to the Empress and to Charlotin Marcadieu are also still evident.
1804 (22 September) Dessalines is proclaimed Emperor Jacques 1st by his state regimental adjutant.
1805 (20 May) Publication of the Imperial Constitution.
Lamour Dérance, the rebel slave who had taken up arms against Leclerc, dies there in jail.
1802 (4 to 24th March) Battle of Crète-à-Pierrot. Fort Crète-à-Pierrot is the scene of one of the most glorious battles of the Independence. A thousand soldiers of the indigenous army subject the expeditionary forces of Leclerc to a twenty day siege.
King Henri Christophe builds the Palace of 365 doors here.
1716 A chapel consecrated to Saint Marc is inaugurated on the site of the present city.
Saint Marc becomes an auspicious colonial city thereafter, and the second harbour of Saint-Domingue.
1779 The Saint-Domingue volunteers leave to help the people of the United States in their struggle for independence. Henri Christophe, aged 12 years, is part of the expedition.
1790 (25 March) Creation of the Assembly of Saint Marc. 212 deputies are elected by the whites of the various Saint-Domingue parishes to form a general assembly of the French contingent of Saint-Domingue in a display of solidarity with the Revolution against the royalty.
1802 (24 February) Dessalines burns Saint Marc and uses the stone from the ruins to construct Marchand which, in 1804, he declares as his capital, "Dessalines".
1805 (30 October) General Gabart, a hero of the war of Independence, dies aged 29 years, and is buried at Saint Marc.
Presidents Philippe Guerrier and Nissage Saget also rest there.
Arcahaie, the frontier town between the Kingdom of Henry 1st and the Republic of the South and West, takes its name from the Taino province of Cayaha, part of Xaragua.
1803 (18 May) Convention of Arcahaie under the presidency of Dessalines, during the course of which the Haitian blue and red flag would have been created.
The Empress Adélina, wife of the Emperor Faustin 1st, was born at Arcahaie on the Habitation Manegue.
1502 Survivors of the massacre at the court of queen Anacaona take refuge on the island of Gonâve. They called this Guanabo or Guanarana island.
Gonave is considered by many visitors to be a source of untapped cultural wealth.
According to Charlevoix, the name "Port-au-Prince" derives traditionally from a vessel which dropped anchor here in 1706.
1749 (7 June) Foundation of the city by order of the Colonial Governor. His first site was the Habitation Randot, which extended from Bel Air to the present Rue Pavée. Port-au-Prince is proclaimed capital of Saint-Dominge by Louis XV.
1793 Port-au-Prince becomes Port Republicain during the French revolution.
1798 Historic meeting between Toussaint Louverture and André Rigaud.
1799 (21 June) Toussaint Louverture's famous speech from the high chair in Port-au-Prince church. This speech sparked the vicious southern war.
1802 The city is occupied by the Boudet division (French), despite vigorous opposition by Lamartinière.
1803 (September) Dessalines besieges Port-au-Prince.
1803 (10 October) The indigenous army is victorious. The vanquished French generals Lavalette and Lux leave for France.
1804 With the proclamation of independence, Port Republican once again becomes Port-au-Prince.
1804 (16 March) Dessalines orders the French to be massacred.
1806 (17 October) Dessalines is murdered at Pont Rouge, at the northern entrance to the city. He was 48 years old.
1812 (25 March) Second siege of Port-au-Prince by Christophe at the head of an army of 25,000. General Magny, commander of the King's forward guard, defected with his troops, so forcing Christophe to end his siege.
1818 (29 March) Alexander Pétion, president of southern Haiti, dies following a a malignant fever. He was aged 48 years. His heart is buried at Fort National.
1849 Proclamation of the Empire of Haiti to the benefit of Faustin Soulouque.
1859 Abolition of the Empire and restoration of the Republic.
1860 Appearance of iron architecture which blossoms to the full under Hyppolite.
1890 Advent of the gingerbread style.
1915 (28 July) American Landing. The country remains occupied until 1934.
The Portail Saint Joseph, at the northern entrance to the city, has witnessed the passage of history in numerous military invasions, united in the single objective to seize the power that lay within its gates:
1869, the troops that overthrew Sylvain Salnave; 1888, those controlled by Séide Télémaque, hoping to take power after the fall of Salomon; 1889, Florvil Hippolyte at the head of the Northern army; 1902, the troops of general North Alexis; the Cacos hordes, coming to install their presidents (Cincinnatus Leconte, 1911; Oreste Zamor, 1914; Davilmar Théodore, 1914; Vilbrun Guillaume Sam, 1915)…
The city, having been subjected over the years to numerous earthquakes and fires, shows little evidence of its past. Worth a mention, however, are: Fort National, built by the English in 1794/ 1796; the mausoleum of Count Ennery in the original Saint Anne cemetery and the Terrace de l'Intendance opposite the new cathedral.
Famous birthdays include: Alexander Pétion (2 March 1770), Jean Pierre Boyer (15 February 1773); Nissage Saget (6 January 1800); Louis Borno, president of the Republic; Coriolan Ardouin, (1812) historian; Jean Pierre Boyer Bazelais, politician; Thomas Madiou (1814), historian; Frédéric Marcelin (1848) novelist and essayist; Massillon Coicou, poet and dramatist; Justin Lhérisson (1873) writer of the words of the national hymn of Haiti, the Desssalinienne.
1831 President Boyer founds the city in honour of Pétion, former president of the Republic of Haiti, in the hills of Habitation La Coupe. Protected by Forts Jacques and Alexander, this city was destined to become the capital of Haiti.
Residents of Pétionville have included, Boisrond Channel, retired president, and Léon Laleau, diplomat, journalist and writer, crowned Prince of the Poets.
1710 An active slave rebellion developed here on the enclosed plain led by the rebel Michel.
1749 Foundation of the little town of Croix-des-Bouquets.
1790 The blacks leave, under the leadership of Pinchinat, Beavais and Lambert, armed to the teeth for the conquest of their civil and political rights.
1792 (30-31 March) 1500 slaves insurgents, under the direction of the rebel Yacinthe, seize the town of Croix-des-Bouquets.
1794 (9 February) Fight to the death of the infamous rebel Halaou.
1502 As the regal capital of Yaguana in the Indian caciquat of Xaragua, the town of Anacaona witnessed some of the most tragic scenes of the Spanish colonisation of the New World: the capture of the queen and the massacre of her subjects by Nicolas Ovando.
Until the foundation of Port-au-Prince in 1749, Léogâne and Petit Goâve both claimed supremacy as capital of Saint-Domingue.
1792 The rebel leader, Romaine la Prophétesse, wrought terror on the plain of Leogane until dying in 1795.
1915 Charlemagne Péralte, as commander of the district, refuses to deliver the city to the American toops, marking the beginning of the resistance to the occupation.
Léogane is the native city of Inginac, secretary of Dessalines, general of Cap and signature of the Act of the Independence.   Also of generals Gédéon, Cangé and Marion, of poet Ignace Nau, of Larnartinière, hero of Crète-à-Pierrot, and of Marie Claire Heureuse, wife of Emperor Dessalines.
1799 Object of dispute between Toussaint and Rigaud, the war of the South originated here in 1799.
1883 (27 March) Boyer Bazelais and a hundred of his companions seize the city, subjecting it to a siege of nearly a year, during which time large numbers of the population die from starvation, illness or suffering. The survivors are mercilessly slaughtered on 9 January 1884. A long internal struggle between the National Party, with Salomon as its president, and the Liberal party, lead by Boyer Bazelais, so ends in bloodshed.
1756 The plans of the present city of Jérémie are outlined. Previous to this it was a small fishing village called Trou Jeremie, named after a local fisherman.
During the French colonial period, rebel slaves Plymouth and Macaya (who took their names from the region's mountains) prowled the area with their gangs.
Goman, leader of a peasant movement, builds a mountain "State", Le Grand Doco, in the hills 14 miles from Jérémie, successfully resisting central authority.
Jérémie is called the "City of the Poets", of whom Antoine Laforest, Etzer Vilaire (1872), Emile Roumer, Othello Bayard, composer of "Haiti Cheri" are among the best known.
François D Légitime, president of Haiti, was born here (1887), as were some other notable Haitians including the jurist Linstant de Pradines and Calisthènes Fouchard (1840).
1800 (29 July) Rigaud, following his defeat against the armies of Toussaint, sets sail with his family from Tiburon for Guadeloupe.
1802 Polish troops under major Lozinsky's disembark at Tiburon.
1805 A contingent of the Polish Legion settles in Port Salut. The insurrection which lead to the attempt on Pont Rouge, during which Emperor Dessalines perished on 17 October 1806, started here.
1776 Birth at Torbeck of Boisrond Tonnerre, author of the Act of Independence.
Jean Jacques Acaau, leader of "The Suffering Army," sees the light.
1843 (13 March) At Habitation Praslin, on the plain of Torbeck, the uprising that is to overthrow president Boyer begins.
1720 The king approves the establishment of the borough of Les Cayes.
1726 The borough is outlined by M. de la Lance.
1803 (July) Meeting at Camp Gérard, some kilometers from Les Cayes, during which the generals of the indigenous army of the South, under the command of Geffrard, seal the pact of union with Dessalines which leads to victory against France.
The city is the base of the governmental department of the South at the time of the split between the South and the West.
1816 Simon Bolivar is in town. He leave Les Cayes for Venezuela with his expedition furnished and armed by Petion.
1911 The near destruction of the city by fire.
Born in Cayes were: general Geffrard (1761), signature of the Act of Independence; André Rigaud (1761), leader of the southern blacks, presidents Charles (Riviere) Hérard the elder, Michel Domingue, Lysius Félicité Salomon Jeune (1815), Boisrond Canel (1832), Antoine Simon (1843).
1844 Start of the major peasants revolt lead by Jean-Jacques Acaau. The fighters of his "Suffering Army" were called Piquets because of their weapons - wooden pikes. Acaau was the author of the well known saying "The rich Negro is a mulatto, the poor mulatto is a Negro".
1655 The bay is named "Cromwell Bay" after the ship which moors here en route to take Jamaica.
1677 The city is called "Saint Louis".
1698 The "Compagnie de Saint-Domingue" or the "Royal Indes Company" establishes its buildings and warehouses.
In the XVIIIe century, to revised plans by Vauban, Fort Saint Louis is built on the island controlling access to the bay.
1748 Partial destruction of the fort by the English.
1753 Construction of Fort Olivier and Fort St Eloi in order to assure protection to the bay.
The port of Saint Louis du Sud is neglected to the profit of Les Cayes.
1494 Christopher Columbus anchors in the harbour of Aquin that the Indians called Yaquimo.
Amerigo Vespucci visits twice.
At the beginning of the 16th century the Spaniards found "Nueva Villa" of Yaquimo.
1660 French pirates inhabit the abandoned Spanish city and call it Aquin. They also found the Bourg d'Aquin, at some miles distant.
Aquin is the native city of Julian Raymond, black gentleman, landowner and scholar.   He has connections with the Society of Friends of the Blacks and Citizen. In 1796 he becomes a member of the third Civil Commission together with Sonthonax, Roume, Giraud and Leblanc.
David Saint-Preux, brilliant lawyer, native of Aquin, represents his city in the Chamber of Townships in 1832.
The Jacmel region was reputedly impenetrable. It formed a sanctuary for rebels both during the 16th (enabling some precocious guerrilla warfare by Chief Henry in 1510) and the 18th centuries (domination of the Yacinthe gang) . In its hills the best coffee on the island is found in abundance.
1698 The "Compagnie de Saint-Domingue" builds stores and warehouses in the little town of Jacmel - which develops rapidly due to the harbour that allows foreign commerce. Francisco de Miranda, arriving to ask the young Haitian nation for help, stays at Jacmel
1816 Simon Bolivar visits.
1890 Iron architecture is adopted by the rich for the construction of their residences and shops in an attempt to avoid the risks of fire.
The town gets turned on - the first on the island to benefit from electricity.
Jacmel is famous for its Carnival and handicrafts.
The notoriously beautiful staggered water falls of Bassins Bleus are not far from Jacmel, at Morne Laporte.
Jacmel has produced numerous poets, writers and artists, including: Juste Chanlatte, Alcibiade de Pommeyrac, Hannibal Price, Préfette Duffaut, Charles Moravia, Seymour Pradel.
Participants in the realisation of this map were:
Gérald Alexis museologist
Pierre Buteau historian
Georges Corvington historian
Lilac Desquiron ethnologist
Rachel Beauvoir Dominique  anthropologist
Harold Gaspard architect
Giselle Hyvert Technical Consultant
Nils Tremmel  architect
Pre-Columbian caciquats inspired by the Centre for Tropical Geography (CNRS) and the University of Bordeaux 1985 "Atlas of Halti''.

Route 2004 - for the Preservation of Historic, Cultural and Natural Resources.
All rights reserved: HAI projet/95/010